Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Philly Filled Bell Peppers


We love Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches and we love peppers...so why not put them together?!

I made a mistake cutting the peppers..it's suppose to be lengthwise. I was scared all the cheese would run out since I had holes in the bottom of each half, but it really wasn't that bad.  There are several different variations of the recipe. Mine said to roast the peppers in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes before adding anything to them..which is what I did. Since I had holes in the bottom of my peppers, I lined the baking sheet with foil, plus I like containing the mess.
While the peppers were roasting, I sautéed up some onion, mushroom and garlic. Once the onions are good and caramelized, add in pieces of sliced roast beef. I recommend getting roast beef from the deli and not the kind in a package....just because it's better quality and tastes like real beef.  I didn't really measure any of these ingredients. My husband doesn't really like mushrooms but I love them, so I added enough for me but not enough for him to be able to taste much of them. Just use your best judgement :) 

 Next, line the roasted peppers with provolone cheese. Do this while the peppers are still hot! It makes the cheese malleable and easier to put in the pepper, or just get the shredded kind.

Then fill those puppies up with the meat mixture


Top with more cheese.

Pop those babies in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is nice and gooey on top.



I was recently given some Lemon Boy yellow tomatoes and boy are those suckers good! My husband's aunt has a huge garden and has been supplying us with fresh veggies. Every meal we have beautiful fresh vegetables and I love it!


My husband really liked these carb friendly stuffed peppers. Next time I make them, I will of course make sure to cut them the right way! Also, I will add some yellow or red peppers...maybe some basil. They were missing some flavor. Overall, this dinner was a hit at my house! 

Elisha

No comments:

Post a Comment